[Yr7-10it] VELS and IT

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 08:14:33 EST 2006

I think the higher order thinking and the mastery of the medium, nitty
gritty detail cannot really be separated

Maybe they can be separated to an extent in some subjects (eg. maths) but
not in computing and not in the real world, life

Perhaps this is more than just a common sense argument but that it goes
deeply in terms of our epistemology

Rodney Brooks had to fight v. hard to put situatedness and embodiment onto
the AI agenda. In the end he won because it was found to be impossible /
impractical to model the world internally in an AI machine. That to factor
in the interaction with sensors was the way to go.
Brooks, Intelligence without Reason
http://people.csail.mit.edu/brooks/papers/AIM-1293.pdf

What it means to be human cannot be separated from our ways of interacting
with the world, eg. the hand, our senses, and our modern day extensions of
that (internet, mobile phone).

Our  brains do fall out when the internet is down and that will become more
true in the future. (and so it follows that EDs are dumbing everyone down
when they introduce censor-ware)

So, I agree with Paul that teaching the "basics" of computing in the best
way possible is v. important. But it's not basics really, its lifeblood.
That is where VELS has it wrong, regarding English as lifeblood and
computing as "interdisciplinary".

In practical terms I think computing teachers would agree that we have to do
a lot of skilling in order for our students to be able to do higher order
stuff. It's hard to do a creative design if you don't have the skills to
make the bits and pieces that go into that design.

The bit I was torn about (or one of the bits) was how computers / AI appear
to do human higher order thinking (play chess well, solve hard calculus
problems) - but I'm thinking now that the way computers do that is v.
different from the way humans do those things. eg. in chess its really about
a number crunching approach not some sort of superior positional judgement
algorithm.

I remember writing last year that some of my year 12s reported that they
were thinking  much harder in my subject (game programming) which was *not*
classified as uni entrance standard because it was more "hands on" than in
other subjects (physics, english) which were classified as uni entrance
standard. They felt that the latter subjects were basically read the book
and regurgitate whereas to program a game they would have to immerse
themselves in hard problems and they were doing this for long hours on the
weekends.
Full account here:
http://billkerr.blogspot.com/2005/10/engagement-hands-on-higher-order.html

--