[Yr7-10it] VELS and IT

Murray O. murrao at westbourne.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 8 13:05:18 EST 2006

Great post Fiona.
I have experienced the problems you speak of with English teachers and I
believe the reason is the horrendous work load they have. It is even more so
then the rest of us overworked teachers.

The problem that I see with integration is every subject is so busy that
staff do not have the time or inclination to learn the new skills and with a
crowded curriculum it is difficult to do so.

Often the people making the decisions in school do not have the IT skills
and don't know what the staff skill levels are. On top of this there exists
an inflated opinion of the students' ability. My experience has shown
students are very comfortable with technology and skilled in specific areas
that interest them but often lack basic skills in other areas.

If schools can audit staff IT skills, student IT skills and curriculum usage
then make decision based on that data the integrated approach could work.
But this is a massive undertaking for already stretched schools. Fortunately
most teachers love teaching with a passion and are highly skilled and
adaptable and realise how important our wonderful job is.

Regards,
Oliver Murray
Web Developer
Westbourne Grammar School