[Yr7-10it] don't block blogs

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 10:22:00 EST 2006

http://nonscholae.org/
http://nonscholae.org/category/blog/

nonscholae.org is a site devoted to the responsible use of blogs,
photosharing, podcasts, web hosting, educational games, instant messaging
and other social software in schools. Our students want to be web authors,
create content and take part in distributed conversations, not just web
consumers.

*Non scholae sed vitae discimus*
We learn, not for school, but for life - Seneca, Epistulae

We believe that these tools and resources should not be *blocked* or *banned
* from schools. As educators, we should be familiarising learners with these
technologies, supporting and facilitating their responsible use and
equipping our students with the skills to keep them safe and savvy in the
online world.

However, at the moment, many schools are simply closing their eyes, banning
these technologies and doing their learners a disservice in the process.

We want to persuade and help you to persuade your school, district and
department that this is an irresponsible approach to information
communication technology literacy. To do that we publish a regular
blog<http://nonscholae.org/category/blog/>,
maintain a critical analysis <http://nonscholae.org/test/> of software and
filters, have a simple manifesto <http://nonscholae.org/manifesto/> signed
by hundreds of teachers and experts in education from around the world and a
number of resources <http://nonscholae.org/resources/> ranging from more
information about the movement to pamphlets and lesson plans.

You can also join us <http://nonscholae.org/join/> and become a blog and
resource author or contact us <http://nonscholae.org/contact/> for feedback
or press inquiries.
--