[Yr7-10it] Monitoring staff and students

Roland Gesthuizen rge at westallsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Jan 4 08:14:27 EST 2006

monitor man <http://www.datenform.de/rscreeneng.html>With all the mail
that we have been reading about interactive whiteboards, I had to stop
for a moment to consider the many different computer display systems
that teachers can use in the classroom.

"Random Screen <http://www.datenform.de/rscreeneng.html>" is an
mechanical thermo dynamic display. The 2005 German art installation is
by by Aram Bartholl. It uses no electricity and is built using candles
and drink cans. As Waraku Education <http://waraku.blogspot.com/>
indicated, this might make an interesting, ultra low-tech IT project.

How about a wearable display unit
<http://www.startsomethingpc.com/ViewEntry.aspx?EntryID=203&EntrantID=448>
that users could flip down into their field of view. Something akin to
the head-up display that Khalid was talking about whilst we were
unpacking all those LCD monitors last term. If any distracted students
gaze out at the classroom window, they would be still on task as a
background of clouds drifts past their projected class work. Lay down
and get back to work.

The monitor-man technology accessory
<http://www.suntory.co.jp/news/2003/8494.html> by Suntori is a must for
all Information Technology teachers. This unit does away altogether with
interactive whiteboards and projectors, leaving teachers with their
hands and bodies free to perform anywhere in the classroom. When not in
use, screen savers could even be used to display any homework reminders
or blog posts. Amaze other staff during morning tea with personal RSS
feeds, mingle messages in the crowd during corridor duty and work whilst
walking about.

Make a stand for information technology during 2006 and engage with
these tools!

Roland Gesthuizen - Teacher and ICT Manager - Westall Secondary College