[Yr7-10it] RE: Robotics Program for schools

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Wed Oct 26 12:48:29 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
> A company called IT Leisure & Education Pte Ltd, operating out of
Singapore recently sent me some
> information about a Robotics Program designed for schools and an
associated Robotics competition.

This sounds like the kit from Tribotix which I have heard sells for $1500.

I believe that you can do "virtual robotics" with a programming language
that has good visual output and easy intuitive programming. Gamemaker is
such a program but it is not the only one. It is free too.

It matters little whether the sensors and actuators are virtual or real,
what matters is the intellectual process and the level of motivation. The
intellectual tasks are no less for a virtual environment and I believe that
the level of motivation is higher.

You are generally advised to have one kit for two students, a considerable
expense.
Building the robot usually takes more than 1 lesson
Partly completed projects have to be stored till next lesson
For this reason, only one class can be using the kits

But most importantly, the debugging cycle: test/debug/modify/test is slower.
Less time is spent in a state of "cognitive conflict" and this is arguably
where the real learning is happening. The cognitive conflict is where the
motivation comes from so real robots are less motivating than virtual ones.

Its virtual robots for me

Tony Forster