[Yr7-10it] IT Courses

Joel Walton ixoye1973 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 9 09:30:36 EST 2005

Hello Sylvia,

Here at Shepparton High School we have done a lot of
revamping over the last year or so and we are doing a
wide range of things.

Year 7 (IT)
	Creating Time Tables (Word)
	"About Me" (Powerpoint)
	Garage Sale Sign (Word)
	Magazine Cover (Publisher/Photoshop) *The kids go
nuts on this one*
	Research/Quiz (Powerpoint)
	Class Party (Internet/Excel/Word/Publisher)
	Touch Typing

I have outlines/examples for all of these tasks that
make them fairly in depth for the students, the
quality of output is growing each semester this runs.

Year 8 (21st Century Skills)
This subject has been revamped this year and is based
on a text book that does many tasks.  It is looking at
how the student can use ICT to get tasks done in the
21st Century environment.  This is a new subject that
I have not run personally, but by all reports from the
teacher it is running nicely.

Year 8 CAD (Computer Aided Design)
This is a new subject this year so I am not familiar
with it.  But it seems to be working quite well.

Year 9 (Gamemaker)
New this year and the students are eating it up.
Using gamemaker from www.gamemaker.nl, with the
students able to make a range of different games but
still maintaining the logic and programming skills
required.

Year 9 (Web Publishing)
This subject has been revamped in the last year.  We
are using Dreamweaver MX 2004.  The course is designed
to introduce the System Development Life Cycle SDLC
with Analysis, Design, Development stages only.
Naming conventions, and directory structures etc are
discussed and made as part of the assessable criteria
for assignments.

Year 9 (Robotics)
This started last year, and the uptake of the students
for the subject has been very pleasing.  The standard
of the robots made has been increasing in standard and
the progression to an internal "robo-cup soccer" has
been moving along well from all accounts.

Year 9 (Claymation)
Claymation started last year and has also proven quite
popular with students, creating their own clay movie
sets and making movies using stop motion pro (I
believe).  A lot of work has gone into the processes
of making movies and storylines such as scripting and
story boarding etc.

Year 9 (Multi-Media)
I am not too familiar with this subject, it works
heavily on 2D imagery, multi-media design and creates
individual digital portfolios for each student.  It
has proven to be quite popular with the students.

Year 10 (Visual Basic)
Has been running for a number of years and is the main
prelude for programming/logic for VCE Information
Systems.  Logic and skills are used in this subject,
pseudo-code, flow charts and NS diagrams are also
introduced at a low level.

Year 10 (IT Alive)
Is a subject made this semester, its aim was to help
the students become prepared for VCE IT specifically.
The subject was designed to have a few aspects taken
from IT 1&2, IPM 3&4 and IS 3&4.

Year 10 (Animation for the Web)
Is a new subject for next year.  I believe the plan is
to make flash programs and integrate them into web
pages and other media (eventually).  The teacher
leading it is getting involved in "pixeled" (I think
it is called).  It is a very area by the looks of it.

Aspects such as spread sheeting is mainly done through
our accounting department, however we do touch on it
briefly through some of our subjects.

With digital imagery at our school we touch on it in
technology, but it is mainly the domain of the Art
department with Digital Photography in year 9 and
Digital Art in year 10.

I know I have probably missed a few subjects, and that
the details of the classes are a bit vague at times
but let me know if any there interest you and I will
see what we can do to give you some more information.

Cheers,

Joel Walton
Shepparton High School
Technology KLA