[Yr7-10it] Re: [Year 12 IPM] Fed Govt review of copyright & 'fair use'

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Sat May 28 11:50:49 EST 2005

Bill Kerr is a stirrer! And for that I thank him.
Read this quote:
"According to the Brazilian government, for example, Brazil sends close
to $1 billion to the north each year just to pay for software licenses.
So as the Brazilians see it, tongue firmly in cheek, this proprietary
stuff is a bad thing all around--costing the U.S. $1 billion, and Brazil
$1 billion as well.
The obvious solution is to dump the proprietary stuff. So the Brazilian
government is pushing itself and the nation to substitute free software
for proprietary software. As one member of the government said during a
speech at the World Social Forum, "We're against software piracy. We
believe Microsoft's rights should be respected. And the simplest way to
respect their rights is for Brazilians everywhere to switch to free
software."
Impressive stuff eh?
I read it from
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/06/issue/feature_people.asp?
- the whole 9 pages of it. What began as a quick-scan grew into a 35
minute jaw-dropping experience. I want to go to Brazil to see this for
myself. To experience it.
I am so glad to be living in these turbulent times, because things
happen so quickly, I get the chance to see hundreds of years of change
happening in mere decades.
Thanks Bill. I have exercised the 'freedom' to spread this to the other
lists as well - everyone whose heart is in the 'right' place deserves to
hear it.
Keith