[Yr7-10it] IT structure at lower secondary levels

Rob Attrill attrill.robert.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Jun 7 10:09:18 EST 2005

Hi all,

I have been approached by our admin over the issue of how IT is
delivered in Year 7 and its impact on student skills and attitudes in
subsequent years (all the way up to our Year 12 classes). Our principal
is keen on the idea of delivering IT skills from within the other
subject areas (ie to be taught by the maths, SOSE, etc. Eng teacher). I
guess this model is still called "Computers Across the Curriculum" - CAC
for want of another term.

I know this has been raked over regularly, but if you have the time I
would appreciate if you could let me know if you have any personal
experience or strong opinions on the matter. I have some specific
aspects to consider, one of which is the impact on and experience of the
model on senior IT classes.

I am interested in a wide range of related aspects. What is the most
likely physical resourcing model for CAC? (eg IT labs, pods, classroom
based pc's etc) What funding and resourcing priority does that require
wthin a school? What training and support structure is required? What
impact does it have on computer skills and subject choice as students
move up through other levels? How reliable a structure is it to nurture
these IT skills (or will they tend to wither away)?

I know of the Northcote SC case, but am more interested in schools using
(present or past tense) CAC that have not had the benefit of Navigator
funding. I would love to hear from people who have experienced this
model for themselves, especially if the model has been introduced and
then reexamined, regardless of whether it has continued or not.

regards

Rob Attrill
Mill Park SC