[Yr7-10it] we are the web

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:12:39 EST 2005

five page article by Kevin Kelly in Wired
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.08/tech.html?tw=wn_tophead_1
the first 3 pages were good but not new to me but luckily I kept clicking to
pages 4 and 5
they sizzle and other superlatives
read the section with the heading 2015, starting on page 4
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.08/tech.html?pg=4&topic=tech&topic_set=
*tinyurl:
http://tinyurl.com/at6rq*
he argues convincingly that the web is becoming intelligent
here is one paragraph to give you the flavour:

And who will write the software that makes this contraption useful and
productive? We will. In fact, we're already doing it, each of us, every day.
When we post and then tag pictures on the community photo album Flickr, we
are teaching the Machine to give names to images. The thickening links
between caption and picture form a neural net that can learn. Think of the
100 billion times *per day* humans click on a Web page as a way of teaching
the Machine what we think is important. Each time we forge a link between
words, we teach it an idea. Wikipedia encourages its citizen authors to link
each fact in an article to a reference citation. Over time, a Wikipedia
article becomes totally underlined in blue as ideas are cross-referenced.
That massive cross-referencing is how brains think and remember. It is how
neural nets answer questions. It is how our global skin of neurons will
adapt autonomously and acquire a higher level of knowledge.

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr.blogspot.com/