[Yr7-10it] Re: GameMaker Experience at Cleeland SC

mbitzios at optusnet.com.au mbitzios at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 11 16:07:54 EST 2005

Hi Everyone,
I was introduced to Gamemaker during my last year of my teaching degree by a fellow
student teacher. I thought this may be an interesting tool for helping students to
understand the programming concepts of Object Orientated Languages (OO)

I was using Gamemaker to introduce Programming Languages - specifically concepts
of OO. To begin with students were asked to evaluate the product (ie Gamemake) to
do this they were given the ability to install the product, see how it runs and work out
how well it is to create games by reading up on the help - in other words very little
direction from me. Evaluation included a set of questions on how easy it was to install,
understandability of the help, usefulness of the product and where it might be used.

My students were then asked to create a Game for Primary school students with one
of the following topics "Stanger Danger", Using a Fire Escape Plan, Learning Numbers
or Colours. It was there choice as to whether they would use Gamemaker or another
product. Some used Powerpoint to achieve this but most were intrested and succeded
to use gamemaker to varying levels.
Some took existing games and converted backgrounds, sprites etc to match the
product criteria,others started from scratch and others simply enjoyed playing the
games so much that they forgot to get their assignments in on time.

I enjoyed using Gamemaker and these tasks were set over 4 x 72min lessons. This
was the first time for me and I plan to use the same lesson plans for next semester
with my next group of Yr 10s.