[Yr11 Information Technology] Farewell

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon May 7 22:04:27 EDT 2018

Awwww, thanks Kevork, and thanks to everyone else who has posted in the
past 20 odd years... and some of those years have been very odd.

Does anyone else remember the 8 years we spent with a '56 bits per second
modem' in the study design? Ah, those happy dumb days.

And Sofdev's insistence on examining only the *physical* layer of the OSI -
the layer that had nothing *whatsoever* to do with students' programming in
SD?
Hehehehe. Classic VCAA sense of humour.

But, Kevork,  never forget my special skill to make a *simple* idea
*complex*.
I'm still working on a mathematical proof of whether the number of cows in
a paddock is 'accurate' or 'correct'.
VCAA won't tell me, even though they use the two terms in one KK of their
fabulous and fascinating study design.

I have not lined up a successor to be the new *official* irritant for VCAA.
Are there any volunteers?
The job description requires a person who can be pretty annoying and
pedantic - and tenacious.
And the IT list will need a new moderator to keep that rowdy Litsa under
control.

Whomsoever chooses to take over might like to start by explaining to VCAA
how they shouldn't have examined 'critical path' in the 2017 Info exam,
since that KK was not named in the design and *clearly was not examinable*.

I think the community needs a *team* of dedicated gadflies to keep VCAA
focused on details and direction. It should not be one person's role.
A dozen different annual exam postmortems would be a delight. Each one
would give a unique insight.

I will keep VCEIT.com going until the end of this study design, since I've
already paid for the domain registration (thanks to kind financial
contributors!)
If I choose not to engage with the next study design I will offer the
domain to a worthy adopter, or a team. Hey - wouldn't that be fun?

I'm keen to look at the next design and decide whether to attack or resign.
The current study design just puts me to sleep. I find it so deadly *dull*.

I know I have annoyed many people over the years. Most of that was
accidental.
One cannot be consistently both passionate and inoffensive, especially when
trying to make a major philosophical or pedagogical point while also
running out to form assembly or year 10 IT.
I know I sometimes mis-spoke, and spoke too harshly, and sometimes
leveraged humour inappropriately.
But... decision-makers sometimes need to be rubbed the wrong way to effect
change.

I publicly acknowledge that I really annoyed the royal hell out of poor
Paula for a decade or two, but she contributed a massive amount to the
development of the VCE IT course over many years and did sometimes quietly
absorb points I made in public and private correspondence, especially
regarding suggestions about draft study designs. I think she was as
passionate as I was about getting things right.

And I can't go without thanking the quiet but steadfast Kevork - 'Special
K' - whose lists have brought us together for many years, and prevented the
slaughter of generations of innocent newborn IT teachers..
I know I would never have gone very far without the Edulists.
Kevork has given us all a home in which we can feel safe and supported.
Thanks, dad.

And thanks to all of my dear siblings on the lists, especially my dear
little sister Litsa.

Adieu
Mark

I give you all the fish.