[Yr11 Information Technology] Another silly question

Christophersen, Paula P christophersen.paula.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Oct 27 11:12:02 AEDT 2015

Dear colleagues

I would like to clarify a couple of points with respect to the curriculum structure of the Victorian Curriculum http://victoriancurriculum.vcaa.vic.edu.au/

·         There is a new curriculum, Digital Technologies, that focuses on students creating digital solutions through the use of information systems and specific ways of thinking about problem solving. The curriculum is published on the Vic Curr website and it has a scope and sequence. [cid:image002.jpg at 01D110A8.4DA31AA0]

·         Digital Technologies is not a replacement for ICT as a general capability/eLearning

·         There is no ICT as a capability curriculum (or scope and sequence) in the Victorian Curriculum, however there is in the Australian Curriculum

·         In the Victorian Curriculum some aspects of the Australian Curriculum ICT as a capability are addressed in mandated content descriptions in some domains, including Mathematics, English, Geography, The Arts, Design and Technologies and Digital Technologies. An English example is: ‘ using software, including word processing programs to create, edit and publish multimodal text (English level 6).

·         In all domains, schools can use their discretion in deciding how ICT will be used for teaching and learning programs based, but it’s not mandated in all domains.

There is a learning continuum for ICT as a general capability on the Australian Curriculum website – this is a good reference point for developing domain-specific examples.
http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/generalcapabilities/information-and-communication-technology-capability/continuum#layout=columns

For further information about the place of ICT as a capability in the Victorian Curriculum visit: http://victoriancurriculum.vcaa.vic.edu.au/overview/curriculum-design/learning-areas-and-capabilities (mainly the text at the bottom of the page)

Happy to chat further about this if needed.

Regards
Paula

Paula Christophersen
Curriculum Manager, Digital Technologies
Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority
2 Lonsdale Street
MELBOURNE 3000
(03) 9032 1724
0407 043 110