[Yr11 Information Technology] Shell Shock Questions

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 14:51:47 EST 2014

The "Shell Shock" bug has some good lessons for us with some interesting connections to our study. Here is something that I have shared via Edmodo with my VCE IT students as a discussion forum reflection over the term break. I encourage them to read The Age articles that I have presented, pick a question and mandate at least three sentences that contributes something new, reflects or replies to another post. Happy for others add some questions to this list. Enjoy the break everybody, I am heading off to ACCE2014 in Adelaide and hope to catch some of you there :-)

A series of articles published in The Age about the “Shell Shock” bug during 2014-09
Stephane Chazelas: the man who found the web's 'most dangerous' internet security bug
Shell Shock: Bash bug labelled largest ever to hit the internet
Hackers exploit 'Shell Shock' bug with worms in early attacks
Questions to consider:
What did Stephane Chazelas first do and why did he do this? Think about his job.
How did hackers exploit the bug? What were they looking for?
What did system administrators do to protect their systems? Think about the steps they took.
What can we do to make computer systems robust? Remember that there may be as yet, undiscovered bugs lurking amongst our systems.

—
Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen