[Yr11 Information Technology] Do we really need CSS?

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Sat Oct 30 17:33:15 EST 2010

Bill,

I think the article is spot-on, but he is talking about the real world of
design and development. He doesn't have to approach each project as a
teaching exercise.

I teach year 9 students how to build a site in Dreamweaver using Site
Manager and Design view. For that exercise I show them the layout table
approach. Some kids bump into the limitations when they decide they want a
floating box with a picture of Lady Gaga overlapping their text but most end
up with a pretty slick looking site. The exercise was to produce a site for
a small business of their choosing, produce a design using a set of criteria
and stick to the design. The end result is that the kids have been exposed
to a simplified Analyse-Design-Develop-Evaluate model and have produced
something that looks good.

Year 11 is a different kettle of fish. I push CSS with them because I think
there is value in teaching them a structured, scripted approach. We use the
code view of Dreamweaver and tables are horrible to build from scratch. We
find from a coder's view that the CSS approach is much quicker and more
flexible (but we still build our forms in tables <grin>).

Laurie