[Yr11 Information Technology] Can you still see the stars?

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 18:08:15 EST 2008

Why not take part in an international effort to map light pollution, and get
your students involved!

Come join my year 9 Research Science (read InfoTech) students for the 2008
GLOBE at Night Campaign from 25 February - 8 March.

2008 marks a monumental shift in human history when more than half the
people on Earth are expected to be living in cities. Because of the ambient
light of urban landscapes, many city dwellers have never seen a sky full of
stars. During 2007 over 8,491 observations reported (my kids contributed
about 25 to the GLOBE - NASA database)  Drop me a line off list if you or
your students are interested in joining in. Love to swap notes and
observations, especially with any teachers in rural areas of Victoria :-)
     http://www.globe.gov/globeatnight/

In case you are wondering what this is about, I mentioned this in VITTA
journal "scrapbook" column. Here is a picture we took and image processed
with GIMP to enhance the image, identify the red skyline and ugly light
pollution from the city of Melbourne, 30 km away. We used Google Earth to
determine our Lat Long and geotag the images.

[image: GLOBE at night] <http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/433406031/>

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au