[Yr11 Information Technology] Learning Resources

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Sun Feb 10 16:57:03 EST 2008

Hello to all teachers new to teaching VCE IT, and maybe others who never
knew this:

Keep in mind that (unless the material comes from the VCAA) such things as:

- learning resources
- people posting to mailing lists
- opinions expressed
- assessment tasks publicly posted
- yes, even VITTA material

need to be meticulously scrutinised with an extreme scrute - by YOU.

No matter how high profile they are,
..or believe they are,
..or how many awards they are fishing to be nominated for,
any advice offered here (including mine, and this post) is to be judged
on its merits.

YOU, in the end, are responsible for your own class, learning
activities, assessment tasks and outcomes.

The main message is: you can't use any resource blindly and claim that
it came from a "reliable source" so it must be OK.

Even VITTA assessment tasks have, in the past, sometimes been faulty**.
  Even the stuff that has been edited and peer-reviewed and published
state-wide in glossy covers has had its glitches. I know: I've
peer-reviewed some devastating rubbish that could otherwise have been
released on the unsuspecting textbook-buying IT world.

The salient* fact is: in the end YOU are responsible for every datum
that returns to VCAA and VCAT.  You can't blame anyone else.

Plan your course carefully.  Keep checking the study design.  Never
adopt tasks or advice blindly.

My work here is done.  Hi Ho Silver, away!***

--

* O, look it up!  Try http://www.sequencepublishing.com/thesage.html if
you'd love a FREE electronic dictionary/thesaurus.

**(But I believe a new, rigorous, publisher-standard quality-control
process will be in place from now on!!  Yay!)

*** A pathetic reminder that I can remember ancient TV cowboy shows that
your PARENTS would probably consider "really old".  Sigh. No wonder I
keep striking out in the clubs even with my sexy bell-bottom trousers,
Brylcreemed coiffure, and shoulder pads...

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
Direct line: 8520 9085
Phone +613 8520 9000
Fax   +613 9578 9253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Wobbly Webmaster - http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wrinkly IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Senescent Moderator: ITA Mailing List

You know when you're old when you curse the foolish, dangerous, young
whippersnappers on noisy motorbikes, and then realise you're on a BMW
F800S yourself but they're just thinner and faster than you.