[Yr11 Information Technology] End-of-year exam (was Re: A Vision of Students Today)

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Feb 1 08:23:46 EST 2008

The problem with giving a combined unit 1+2 end of year exam is that
units 1 and 2 are not sequential, and I often get kids doing unit 2
without having done unit 1.  Assessing unit 1 material for them is unfair.

Russell Edwards wrote:

> On 31/01/2008, at 2:49 PM, ALAGAPPAN Uma * wrote:
>
>> Hi friends,
>>
>> Last year, (for the  11s) we had the end of the year exam based just
>> on unit 2. This yr I'm thinking of combining both unit 1 and 2 for the
>> final exam? What do you guys do at your school - combined or one unit at
>> a time.
>
> Hi Uma,
>
>  my view of Year 11 exams is that they are primarily there as practise
> for Year 12 exams. So, I like to set them up the same way as the Year 12
> subject. For IT Applications 3&4 there's an end-of-year exam on both
> units at once so I give my Yr 11 ITs an end of year exam on both units
> at once, too so they get used to revising a whole year's work and
> pumping it all out in 1 1/2 hrs.   For Physics 3&4 there is a mid-year
> exam on Unit 3 and an end-of-year exam on Unit 4, so I am planning on
> doing similar for units 1&2 to get them used to sitting 3 hours of exams
> for one subject.
>
> Russell Edwards
> Whittlesea Secondary College
> Teachers Association Inc

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

You'll know when we are officially a civilised race: our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force has to run a chook raffle to
buy a new bomber.