[Yr11 Information Technology] Re: [Year 12 SofDev] RAD instead of SDLC

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mon May 21 10:07:59 EST 2007

Hi Markl,

 Actually it would work really well in Year 11 with any programming
language with a GUI capability be it web based or stand alone.
Quickly create the interface and the main functions requested/accepted
by client and place some code behind these buttons/menu items.
After this level of analysis/design/development(testing) go back to
client for more design direction/approval and do more development and
testing.
Repeat this loop until customer sign off and then finalise
implementation and evaluation.

With less pressure in Year 11 this would lend itself nicely to a number
of projects
eg.
   1) implement a late arrival system to allow students to swipe their
ID/Library cards and print off a late pass(report/receipt)
   2) A student canteen lunch ordering system

I think the students would love this as it would more realistically
mirror the way they do things ..

 Just my thoughts ...

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au 18/05/2007 4:59 pm >>>
I've realised I've always forced my kids to follow the rigid SDLC
stages
in ITA, and now SD.

I'd love to throw a task at them using a RAD / Agile approach.  It's a

shame the study design is so fixated on following the SDLC.

There's got to be a way to sneak RAD in somewhere... maybe year 11 IT
U2O1.  Must check the study design...

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000 << new number!
School Fax   +613 9578 9253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List

"My mother used to say to me,
'In this world you must be O so smart or O so pleasant.'
I recommend pleasant.  You may quote me."  Harvey, 1950.