[Yr11 Information Technology] YR 11 VCE IT programming Unit 2 - for beginners

Adrienne Plotnek mrsplot at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 8 23:11:37 EST 2007

Hi there,

I receive the list but am not sure how to reply or participate on the posts!!!! I hope I have done this right!!!
I read some of the comments and want to ensure that you all understand that you do not need to know a “programming language or actionscript (Flash)”.  What you do need to know is a “programming language or a scripting language”…. A scripting language can be Javascript  (OR actionscript as two examples).  Javascript is easier to learn once the students have a basic understanding of HTML.  Actionscript is easier to learn once students have a basic understanding of Javascript.  VB.net is a programming language that beginners with no scripting language ability can tackle…and there are quite a few resources out there to help…so I’ve been told! I know of teachers who have been teaching VB.net to their yr 9 and 10 classes successfully…. (I am writing not from experience, but from research into this unit 2 thing!)

I am using the following FREE website for HTML lessons and Javascript lessons for my students:  www.about.com   Look up the computer section and there is a pot of gold of IT tutorials there for everything under the sun, and it’s free!  If you subscribe to the tuts, they actually deliver the lessons to your inbox….a great idea  is to get the IT students started on HTML at the beginning of term 1 before tackling Javascript in term 2.  Start with HTML 101, then  Javascript 101.   VB.net (a programming language) also seems very interesting… I would like to tackle that one with the next group of yr 11’s….I’m starting with HTML and Javascript first as I have absolutely NO prog. Language background. (except for BASIC learned in 1985 in 1st yr Uni when computers were still black and green screens!!!! ☺)

I hope I have helped someone!!!
By the way….if anyone has a completed program written up for Unit 2, I would love to have a copy of it if possible.
Thank you.

Adrienne Plotnek
Heatherton Christian College
plotnek at hcc.vic.edu.au