[Yr11 Information Technology] A useful free VB6 tutorial site

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 8 16:34:58 EST 2007

Valid point that indenting Mark!
Having seen some professional programs and even having been involved pre-teaching in some programming projects (did one for CSIRO many moons ago to run on a DataGeneral/VAX super-mini computer many moons ago..about 8000 lines of fortran code and NO code generator!) it would be good to see simple standards like indents, use of blank lines and regular comments on subroutines etc.
It seems that some more recent code I've seen lacks that 'classic' almost 'step-like' look that makes debugging simple! Can't say I miss the reams of printouts that resulted!
I will say though, it looks like it could suit the U2_OC1 needs quite nicely on the topic of providing a clear 'progression' of improved and visible skill level.
Note before anyone comments..I am not 'plugging' or promoting the site for any gain on my part...I am just looking for simple, easy to follow steps to intro myself and the kids to various languages..VB6 in this case.
I will be doing the same for other languages soon too such as PEARL & PHP to name but 2.

I am doing my part to break the mindset of the kids that computers are ONLY about games (tunnel vision) and introducing them to a variety of programming platforms for them to make an 'informed' and 'educated' decision for themselves. Computing can be fun but it also has many other uses too.
Mind you, its not everyone's cup of tea and I dont expect it to be either!
Cheers all..

Kent Beveridge,
I.T. co-ordinator
St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
Horsham
email.. kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au

Wishes and Eggs, one you make and one you break!  A bit like promises.....

"This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."

________________________________

That site does look good.  I wish he'd indent his code, though!

Kent Beveridge wrote:
> Just trawling the net and came across this site of tutorials. Having looked through some of them and being a relative VB6 newbie, it appears pretty user friendly and straight forward to use.
> Maybe some will find it useful.
> http://www.vbtutor.net/vbtutor.htm
>
> Kent Beveridge,
> I.T. co-ordinator
> St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
> Horsham
> email.. kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
>
> Wishes and Eggs, one you make and one you break!  A bit like promises.....
>
> "This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."

> Thank you heaps, Steve. I have been wondering how to go about the ICT Pathways section of Outcome 1 myself. I tried to find an IT professional to come and talk to my Year 11 IT class about the pathways available but it did not work out. So, it was perfect timing.
>

> Indrani Mahanama
>
> Teacher of Mathematics & IT
>
> East Doncaster Secondary College
>
> 20 George St