[vet-mm] Mac vs PC. for video

Mario Yannakakis myannaka at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 23 22:53:27 AEDT 2015

For years this debate will rage on, Katie.

For the students sake do not move over to PC. The underlying principles that
we have been adhering to throughout our educational lives has been MAC
oriented.

Mac has truly won the educational war when it comes to secondary education.
Graphic design applications and video applications have always been
dominated by MAC.

Gaming computers are better run on the windows platform due to microsoft's
brilliant direct x .but then again u need a dedicated video card that
handles direct x.

Which inadvertently means that if you are running Autodesk Products or
gaming engines you are better off staying with an IBM PC.

If you were to run a mac lab you definitely need more ram for your computer.
Instead of 8Gb I would highly recommend a 16 gb ram computer. This is the
first step.

Then you need to purchase a dedicated video card that has at least 1.5gb -
2 Gb on board RAM.

And then also making sure you have a decent hard drive that is reasonably
quick and has a lot of space.

Why do I recommend at least 16 gb of RAM you say? Well the answer is
Adobe!!!

In order to run Photoshop or Bridge or Premiere and After Effects at the
same time you need the extra grunt because of the way adobe utilizes its
media cache.It uses shared RAM for all these applications because of shared
driver link libraries ie .dll's such as media encoder and dynamic link.an
8GB ram system just isn't going to cut it anymore in this world of heavy
resourced applications.

I hope this helps.

Yours sincerely,

Mario Yannakakis

Sessional Lecturer at Billy Blue College of Design.

(Motion Design and Animation)