[vet-mm] exam software

Bloom, Claire R bloom.claire.r at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri May 15 12:25:49 AEST 2015

Hi Folks,
I am just following up on an issue that was raised at the new assessors PD last term.

In the VCAA April Bulletin was the following notice:

VCE VET Interactive Digital Media: Software programs and operating systems
Teachers and trainers of VCE VET Interactive Digital Media (IDM) are advised to note the operating systems and software to be used in the 2015 examination, as published on the VCE VET IDM program page. Note that operating systems newer than those listed on the advice page will not be supported. To ensure that any software updates that may occur during the year are not disruptive to students undertaking the examination, teachers and trainers are advised to prepare a software image based on the Adobe software currently being used by students.

To try and put into context, if you have Adobe Creative Cloud, it is a good idea to have your techs prepare a software image with the allowed software (as attached), ready for deployment in November. If they leave it til November, they may be downloading a cloud version that looks or functions a little differently to what the kids have trained in.
Whilst this shouldn't be a problem normally, it's not a good idea for kids to be confronted with software that is slightly unfamiliar (even if it's only minimally different) for the very first time in an exam. With my version changes, I have found quite a lot of differences especially in Flash and Dreamweaver, although that depends which version you are changing from and to.
I think that with some adobe downloads, the newer version does not actually overwrite the older version, but it's possible techies will remove the older version for reasons of space and efficiency, and then you have a software image with software that may be a bit off putting to some students in an exam situation.

Hope this makes sense?
Claire