[vet-mm] Produce Audio Assets

claire at warrandytehigh.vic.edu.au claire at warrandytehigh.vic.edu.au
Tue Sep 17 16:18:46 EST 2013

Hi Emily,
We have Acid, Sound Forge, Adobe Sound booth and Audacity. I do some basic
tutorials on each of these, and then allow them to use whichever software
they prefer for their design brief -
I give them a short scenario of a horror movie and they have to plan and
create the soundtrack to go with it. They can record and/or modify the sound
effects they require. As well as the horror theme, I've done a space-aliens
one in the past...any scenario with scope to make some fun sound.
Kate love your radio brief, but it would probably take my kids too long!

The Making of Section of the movie Forest Gump has a great section on how
they created the sound for the movie eg how recording real rain doesn't
sound wet enough...

There was also a good doco on SBS last week on how the brain can be tricked
by optical illusions and sounds. I can't recall the name but I think we have
recorded it (I'll check and let you know) - your Psychology teacher would
know it, part of a series about the brain.

"I" also introduce the audio unit by having the Physics teacher do a guest
lecture - shows them sound waves on the oscilloscope (??), they do a hearing
test, look at analog to digital conversion (he plays them a vinyl record,
tape and ipod), bit of info on how the ear works - all helps put it in
context for the kids.
Cheers
Claire