[vet-mm] 2D animation

WILKIE. John wilkjoh1 at lavalla.vic.edu.au
Wed Sep 4 15:26:38 EST 2013

Dear list,

I'd like to confirm the use of the word flash. The plugin that allows a device to play "flash" content is one thing, but the Adobe Flash program used to create the content is another. I'm not sure what we are referencing here.

It is my understanding (I haven't had time to test it though) that Adobe Flash CS6 will export to HTML 5. So playing what I have made in Adobe Flash on different devices is becoming easier. I also find that teaching animation with this software allows my students fairly quick comprehension of the basics and an environment where some of their artistic flare can be developed.

So, what software are we looking at replacing Adobe Flash? What other programs are out there that will supplement a 2D animation curriculum? Is there anything that allows an easy 2D -> 3D conversion?

I'm still pretty new to the game, but I wasn't aware that I could use After Effects in the same way as Adobe Flash. I used Director back in the day... don't really want to look at it again...

My curriculum at the moment is mapped out as Animation and Websites (html/css) in Adobe Flash/Dreamweaver over semester 1 and Video using Premier and After Effects over semester 2.

I'd love some PD in any of the above - pretty much living off co-pilot, you tube and a couple books. Incorporating HTML 5 and CSS 3 would be good as well.

Regards,

John