[vet-mm] Typography Tips?

David Hyde D.Hyde at boxhill.edu.au
Thu Aug 15 14:15:27 EST 2013

Hi Claire,
I agree that recently it has been difficult to instil an understand of the importance of good typography practice, perseverance in creating something great and the actual craft of setting correctly.
I've found that sometimes associating type with graphic visuals or demonstration of the principles of design in a layout avoids think of type as just text.
Seeing and manipulating characters for their graphic quality generates an interest in the form of type if not the written message.
For example; Filling a square in 2D or isometric cube with different characters where you can't use the same typeface or style more than once. This concurrent with developing a colour scheme applied to the design.
Further; taking quotes and making a typographical poster is fun.
I agree with Mario that simple motion graphics (kinetic typography) is a real joy for some students. It's time consuming and needs After Effects so careful preparation and support files are needed. The result is fun and they learn heaps though.

Students may also be enthusiastic about applying photoshop skills to the creation of game and fantasy typography such as the title for Diablo etc.

Gemma O'Brien was a speaker at AGIdeas this year and was a huge favourite. I agree with Denise that her blog and following her story will be inspirational.

Here are some great resources that inspire me and students.
www.dribbble.com  website … Simply fantastic works.  Make sure you spell it right!!! Search for typography, then search for typography quotes. Great stuff.
www.Lettercult.com  is another good site.
Www.tactiletypography.com is another different kind of resource.

Good luck.

David Hyde
teacher
Graphic Design, Motion Design, 3D models & rendering, Photo-imaging, VFX, Drawing & Illustration
Dip. Art-Graphic Design (Swin.),
Grad.Dip. Ed. (Melb), Dip.Arts-Graphic Art (Box Hill), Adv.Dip. Graphic Design (Box Hill), Cert. IV TAA, V.I.T. Registered teacher.

Building 1/1000 Whitehorse Rd, Private Bag 2014, Box Hill, Australia 3128
P 9286 9607
 www.boxhillinstitute.edu.au <http://www.boxhillinstitute.edu.au/>   E d.hyde at boxhill.edu.au
[cid:96B3FA91-EF4F-4A9A-868F-74178421E3BE]
RTO No. 4687
CRICOS Provider No. 02411J

Confidentiality and Privacy Statement
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
 notify us immediately by telephone and destroy the original message. Box Hill Institute of TAFE is committed to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality and security of personal information provided by you to us. For further information visit www.boxhillinstitute.edu.au <http://www.boxhillinstitute.edu.au>  or email privacy at bhtafe.edu.au