[vet-mm] Netiquette update and guidelines for 2011 - from the Administrator

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Sat Feb 5 23:01:51 EST 2011

Hi Friends,

 Excuse the cross posts but please familiarise yourself with the updated
netiquette guidelines at Edulists.

At the start of a brand new Study Design I am concerned we have had little
in the way of contributions from subscribers in the VCE IT area at least. As
such I hope the following steps will strengthen what we have here as a very
powerful on line community.

I am sure you have all found some benefit by your participation in Edulists
over the years.

It is with some concern that I need to update the netiquette guidelines for
2011. I have added 3 new items and the full list can be found at
www.edulists.com.au/netiquette.htm . It is covered here as follows:

----------------------------------

This is a shared environment used by teachers, students and other interested
parties.

At all times list members agree to abide by the following Code of Ethical
Practice for use of these lists.  All members of these lists agree to :

1. seek to inform, question and clarify

2. not intend to harm

3. avoid unprofessional language

4. recognise individuals right to privacy

5. recognise ownership of intellectual resources

6. maintain up to date virus detection and cleaning

7. take responsibility for subscribing and unsubscribing to the lists

8. avoid setting "out of office" type auto replies on subscribed email
accounts as these can cause mail loops on mailing lists.

9. always identify his or her self with a clear signature that shows name,
location of school ( if applicable ) and capacity in which participating on
the list eg. Teacher of the subject , faculty leader, industry
representative

10. if you feel there has been a breach of netiquette guidelines, report it
to the list moderator or kevork at edulists.com.au. Please do not take it upon
yourself to publicly criticise or admonish another subscriber.

11. if a private message to an individual is the intention, do not write to
the whole list or community

12. please do not commence a new thread using an old subject. Clearly change
the subject if the intention is to commence a new thread.

13. "Infomercials", announcements regarding Professional Development,
courses, conferences, and any other "advertising" needs to be approved by
the moderator of Edulists Kevork Krozian <mailto:kevork at edulists.com.au>  (
mobile: 0419 356 034 ) prior to posting to any list.

The ones that seem to keep causing concern are in italics/bold as we have a
number of posts from individuals who do not have any identification apart
from first name perhaps.

Also, it is now a requirement to report any netiquette breaches to either
Kevork Krozian Kevork at edulists.com.au or Mark Kelly
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au instead of admonishing other subscribers. We are
all human and make mistakes. It does make it particularly painful to be
criticised in public, sometimes for honest mistakes.

Also, of some concern is the prevalence of new threads with old subject
lines. Please change the subject if you wish to start a new thread otherwise
the subject line is quite misleading.  The issue of private messages to
individuals is also a recurring one where these need to go directly to the
person rather than to everyone on the list/forum.

Infomercials still need to be cleared by Kevork before posting please.

NB. While issues related to Edulists need to go to Kevork at edulists.com.au I
still get a lot of emails at k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au .

Normally this would be ok, however I no longer work at Forest Hill College.
I have moved on to a new school Ringwood SC ( kkrozian at ringwoodsc.vic.edu.au
).

So, please repeat after me - Kevork does not work at Forest Hill.  Kevork
now works at Ringwood SC.

Please write to my edulists address for edulists matters to keep messages
streamlined.

Please have a wonderful 2011 and enjoy your time in this online community.

Kevork Krozian

Edulists Creator Administrator

www.edulists.com.au

tel: 0419 356 034