[vet-mm] Beware - domain name renewal scam

Tim Kitchen tkitchen at strathcona.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 3 22:06:33 EST 2010

Hi Folks,

I would like to warn you about a very clever scam that I nearly fell into.

I registered and paid for a domain name last year (through WordPress.com)
and was recently sent (in the post) a very professional looking
letter/invoice from a company called 'Domain Renewal Group' explaining
that my registration was up for renewal.

The company has a very legitimate looking website but no local contact
other than a postal address in the city for me to send my cheque or credit
card details.

This aroused my suspicions, as well as the fact that the domain wasn't up
for renewal for a few more months.

I did a quick search and saw a number of scam warnings so I contacted a
legitimate domain renewal company and sent them a scan of the letter. They
verified that it was a scam.

Those of you who have paid for domain names, beware.

Ta

Tim Kitchen

--
Dr Tim Kitchen