[vet-mm] RE: Dual Boot Macs

Chris Ellis ellis.christopher.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 18 12:14:23 EST 2008

I've been contemplating crossing over to the dark side and choosing a
MacBook in the current notebook replacement round.

I've heard from a colleague that a MM Coordinator at Oberon has been runnng
dual systems and managing a MM lab without issue. In terms of network
problems it probably depends on your tech support and how flexible and
willing they are to help. As far as I'm concerned we have enough trouble as
it is keeping the Lenovo/IBMs networking, so a Mac couldn't be any worse.

>From my research I would be using Boot Camp to create a dual boot system
with completely self-contained Windows XP or Vista installation. If all else
fails, when you want it to be a PC you just boot it to run Windows in native
mode.

But better yet, purchase Parallels Desktop for Mac. As well as still
allowing a native Windows bootup, Parallels will run Mac OS and Windows side
by side. In concurrance mode you can actually run individual Windows apps
alongside Mac apps and do things like copy and paste between them.

As a sysadmin person, I'd be ramping up to the full 4GB RAM and a larger
HDD, but even that's not toally necessary for a normal staff notebook. If
you buy 4GB upgrade from Apple it will cost nearly $500, but the same
certified RAM from a Melbourne eBay shop is around $150. Still don't like
Apple's ethics, but they now make a great PC.

Cheers

Chris Ellis
ICT Coordinator
Lorne-Aireys Inlet P-12 College