[vet-mm] Examiners Report 06

Susan Bell Susan.Bell at wesleycollege.net
Sun Jul 15 17:54:43 EST 2007

Paul,
do you really think that VCAA and the people who write the exams are
going to tell the teachers what they can and can't do? My comment about
the questions being too hard for year 12 students doesn't imply that
there should be no scripting questions on the exam. Most teachers of the
CERT III in a high school are well aware that we can't go into too much
depth on the scripting - clearly the TAFE training package is unsuitable
for year 12's in a high school setting. I've said this to yourself and
to VCAA on many occasions (including formally in a letter after the
disastrous 2004 exam).

Anyway, you've had experience with VCAA, surely you can comment on
whether they are able to alter the scripting component.  Are you also
implying that we haven't tried to find out? This is clearly not the case
for either myself or Pixeled who have spoken on many occasions to VCAA
representatives and voiced our concerns.  I don't appreciate your
comments about wasting our time - things can always be changed if people
are willing to listen.

Regards, Sue

>>> director at idea.edu.au 07/15/07 12:58 PM >>>
Given the ongoing comments that the VCAA can, if it chose to, alter the
scripting component of the exam so to take into account that ' the
questions
are pitched too high for year 12 students.'.... does any one know if
they
have the power to do so....has anyone formally asked?....is the VCAA
bound
like all other stakeholders in the Cert III, to strictly abide by the
competencies as is, even to the extent to be an audit issue, controlled
by
government regulations?...

If the exam is not directly a product of the Cert III, then you are
correct
in pursing the VCAA, but if it is, then you probably have been wasting a
lot
of time in trying to make them change what they can't change.

Regards
Paul Conway
Academic Director

Institute for Design Entertainment and the Arts Limited
Level 2, 190 Queens Street Melbourne VIC 3000 Australia
mail:  PO Box 1293 GPO Melbourne VIC 3001  >  phone: +61 3 9600 2832>
fax:
+61 3 9600 2853
e-mail: info at idea.edu.au  >  website: www.idea.edu.au  >
Provider No:4642   >  C.R.I.C.O.S. 01808G   >   ABN 32081532452

PLEASE NOTE:
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for
the
use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged or
protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly
prohibited. The institute does not warrant that this e-mail and any
attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted
in
transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for
viruses
or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission
in
error, please contact us on +61 3 9663 9099 and delete it immediately
from
your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer
virus,
data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or
unauthorised
amendment.