[vet-mm] Copyright

peterfowler at optusnet.com.au peterfowler at optusnet.com.au
Tue Apr 3 11:20:11 EST 2007

Glenn,
Copyright law was changed in 2005. It used to be 50 years but now has increased to 70 years after the first publication date, which means that Cliff Richard whilst he may look that old probably still has copyright ownership over his music.
If you need specific info on copyright law check out
http://www.copyright.org.au/information/specialinterest
I am unsure about sampling small sections of music but you are much safer either composing something new or going for royalty free music.
Even royalty free music needs permission to be reused.
I have attached a pdf which outlines general copyright law but it will just give you an overview rather than specifics.
You may need to look further to find info on sampling.
Good luck.
Yours Sincerely
Peter Fowler
Swinburne Senior Secondary College