[vet-mm] re: 2006 exam

DeanPearman at caulfieldgs.vic.edu.au DeanPearman at caulfieldgs.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 15 21:46:51 EST 2006

Are we forgetting that these students are only 17 and have other VCE subjects, co – curricular activities and family and person lives to maintain. I have been delivering this program since its conception and not many of my students have gone into the industry after year 12. They use this course as a pathway into further study for multimedia/design/art. I would believe that most students do this or am I wrong? I don't think anyone doubts the importance of having scripting knowledge but the multimedia industry is large, some of my students who have completed the BA of multimedia design at Swinburne  and have gone into film, television, motion graphics and design, I think it is a narrow minded view to just assume that all good multimedia students and design needs scripting as a necessary skill. The development of good visual design is just as difficult as scripting, to achieve a harmonies work that relies on strong aesthetical elements is equally as challenging. To assume that this knowledge is only the ‘fun stuff’ is not true. These aspects take years to master, and display a strong sense of technically and aesthetic competence. It is one thing to know how to use Photoshop it is an entirely different challenge to develop strong visual design with it. Of course we want our students to excel and challenge themselves in all aspects of multimedia. The real issue is not the scripting it is what is on the examination and the fairness of what is being assessed. Also we want to cover all aspects of the course and scripting is only one part of the cert III, students are also assessed through three scored assessments during the year that allows them the opportunity to develop and demonstrate a diversity of their knowledge and skills. Equity of what is being assessed is what people are after.

Cheers
Dean Pearman
Visual Arts Educator
Caulfield Grammar School