[vet-mm] re: 2006 exam

Matt Ward ezine at youthcentral.vic.gov.au
Wed Nov 15 14:52:53 EST 2006

I never had the chance to study multimedia in high school, nor am I a
teacher teaching multimedia, so this years exam does not affect me
personally, but I wanted to share my thoughts on some good points Peter
raised.

I completed my adv diploma in interactive multimedia a couple of years ago
at Victoria University. I commenced the course not having any prior
knowledge of design or programming ability other than what I had taught
myself over countless nights in front of the computer at home. What was
surprising was the level of expectation of already acquired design skills
elsewhere. The design part (all aspects of good design and visual
aesthetics) was really not touched on throughout the entire course. Well,
aspects were covered, but no where near enough that I felt qualified &
confident enough to apply for a job afterward under the title of a designer.

Incidentally, I am now doing Computer Science at RMIT, because while I felt
that my while my design skills weren't bad, my programming was certainly my
strength.

Design should never be under-estimated. It is an area that is essential to
multimedia. Without design knowledge, you will always be stuck in the rut of
producing run of the mill - ordinary work, regardless of how polished the
back-end may be. I have seen it many times now, that the people who make
excellent multimedia artists and those who have a solid understanding of
design (coming from graphic/visual arts background) and can also adapt to
the programmatic side as well.

So to hear that only 1/5 of assessable material is design related is a bit
disappointing. I not having any design theory on the exam is even more of a
shame. It sends the message that design isn't important, which is wrong.

My 2 cents worth anyway

Matt Ward

Interactive Designer

Youthcentral, Department for Victorian Government