[vet-mm] Year 12 VET exams

claire claire at warrandytehigh.vic.edu.au
Fri Aug 11 10:45:14 EST 2006

Hi Paul,
Instructions come out from VCAA.
Basically your nominated technician has to sign a form to say none of his/her immediate family is  doing yr 12 exam etc etc.
As the teacher, you can have nothing to do with the process.
Your computers have to be wiped clean and taken off the network (therefore, obviously no internet) for the exam duration. Only the allowable programs can be loaded.
Your techie would probably make an exam ghost image for this. The exam CD is under lock and key as per security for any yr 12 exam. I think it's about 2 hours before the exam that the techie is given the CD and able to load it under supervision of the exam supervisor. It goes on each computer and a couple of spares, in case a computer or two goes down. My techie has automated the loading process. Let me know if you need more details!
The techie has to stay in the room for the first while (can't recall if it's 30 minutes or so?) and then be in close proximity in case of issues.
At the end of the process, the techie has to burn all the exam answers to a CD, (once again our techie has automated this) which the exam supervisor gets back to VCAA as per any other exams.
We put the exam room/s out of action the night before the exam and load the image on. The room is then out of action for the entire exam day. After the exam it takes about 45 minutes to get the answers burnt to CD. The techie then either stays back and reimages the room back for normal school use or does it over the weekend (as the exam is a Friday this year, or on Cup Day as it was last year-he was not happy!!)

We've never had any big hassles, but I know other schools have had some hairy times. It is nerve racking, and as the teacher you can't do anything. Techie has contact details and can call VCAA for advice at any time.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Claire Bloom
Warrandyte High