[vet-mm] Re cert iv training

Allan Barnes abarnes at aiet.com.au
Fri Aug 4 17:41:47 EST 2006

Hi everyone

All true, although be aware that the AQTF has changed, and as of July 1st
last year, the standards now say that in order to be a qualified trainer and
assessor, the TAA is recommended. The old BSZ qualification is still valid,
but is only considered to be equivalent to the TAA. This may be an issue
when/if changing jobs.

Over the past 18 months since the new TAA package has come out, we have done
a lot of conversions for people with the old BSZ qualification wanting to
upgrade to the new TAA qualification - probably close to 600 - 700
throughout Australia.

For teachers with the old BSZ qualification, we offer a half-day workshop
for $350, where we go through the requirements of the upgrade, what evidence
is required, and a timeline. We supply an RCC Guide in hard copy and
electronic format, and it is then up to the participant to go away and
gather the evidence, submit it to us, and we then assess them as being
competent or not (the whole process costs $350, not just the workshop).

>From experience of assessing about 1000 people over the past 18 months
against the new TAA40104, I have found that the majority of teachers who are
delivering either a VET subject or VCE subject, most teachers would have
around 80 - 90% of the certificate completed, and only need to gather
together their evidence and submit it as an RCC claim.

We always offer RCC first to teachers, as I do not believe in channelling
people into expensive face to face courses if it is not necessary. Over the
past 7 years of offering RCC in either the old BSZ Cert IV or the new TAA
Cert IV, I have only come across two teachers out of about 500 I have
assessed that were not able to complete the Certificate IV by RCC.

I don't want to clog up the list with too much advertising, so if people are
interested, please email me on abarnes at aiet.com.au and I can email back a
blurb explaining the process, plus a registration form.

The next half day workshop I am running is Thursday 31st August at 1 PM in
Brunswick. I am also organising a date towards the end of term 3 or early
term 4 for a workshop in Geelong. If interested, please email me on
abarnes at aiet.com.au and I can forward information on the RCC process plus a
registration form.

Kind regards

Allan Barnes, CEO
Australian Institute of Education and Training
Phone: (03) 9387 2051
FAX: (03) 9387 3470
E-mail: abarnes at aiet.com.au

Hi all-Be aware you do not have to upgrade the extra competencies unless you
are training people in the new Cert IV modules. I am a trainer with Life
Saving Victoria and teach some of the modules for the Cert IV.
Consequently I will be required to upgrade to train lifesavers to train
others, but as a teacher of VET multimedia my old Cert IV qualification is
fine. Cheers Jacqui Hewitt