[vet-mm] an important question

Rachelle McLean rachelle.mclean at rmit.edu.au
Tue Oct 25 12:57:51 EST 2005

Hi Jeanean,

I would not call HTML a programming language, neither procedural or object-oriented.  It is a mark-up language that 'marks-up' text, ie. hyperlinks, changes fonts, etc, XML is another example.

An easy way to present the idea of object orientation to students is the way the language refers to objects and their methods and properties.

In JavaScript document.write(); outputs the parameter between the round brackets to the screen.  The document is the object and write is a built-in function of that object.  In fact the highest object in the Document Object Model is 'window' that is dropped because it is assumed that everything is inside a window, then 'document' which is inside the window.

In ActionScript, it isn't quite so obvious as ActionSCript drops the object as the method is used so commonly used.  eg. gotoAndPlay() is a built-in method of MovieClip, so it would be correct to refer to gotoAndPlay as MovieClip.gotoAndPlay().  This shows the object with it's associated method.  Look up MovieClip(object) in the ActionScript Dictionary and it lists all the methods and properties associated with the object.

So, I would refer to both JavaScript and ActionSCript as object-oriented, though they are a pared down form (scripting language) of the 'true' object oriented languages like C++ and Java.

I was trying to access a document that I have that has examples of C code that shows no reference to these objects, or dot notation but our file server is offline.  Will try to later.

Hope it helps,

Rachelle

>>> jpritchard at highview.vic.edu.au 25/10/2005 10:54 am >>>
** Top Secret **

Can someone who has a better IT background help me please?

When I taught scripting to my class, we used some notes from binary
blue. In lesson 6 - Object Orientated Programing, there is a discussion
about OOP and how lingo, actionscript and javascript incorporate object
orientated programing. So, when doing a practice examination, one of the
questions was to list two procedural languages and two object orientated
languages. I  checked with our IT technician and he gave me the
following information;

java - oop
c++ - oop

html - procedural
actionscript - html
javascript - html

Now I'm a bit worried. Our tech insists that actionscript, javascript
and lingo are procedural languages, not object orientated programing.
I've just revised all this with my year 12'ves, sent them off into the
world, and I will not see them until after the exam. Have I mis
interpreted the binary blue notes, or what is going on. Can somebody
please give me some info and set me straignt?

Thanks

Jeanean Pritchard
Multimedia/Arts
Highview College