[vet-mm] Any recommendations 3D software

Michael Abulencia michael.abulencia at rmit.edu.au
Thu Nov 10 19:36:22 EST 2005

Hi Keith,

If you are after free 3D software try:

3D Canvas - http://www.amabilis.com/

-the site has easy to follow tutorials which goes step by step on how to produce a simple 3D render (from camera angles, animation, modelling, etc.)  It also allows a quick AVI export.

Blender - http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

- haven't given this a try

I think CAE (www.cae.edu.au), RMIT Training (www.rmittraining.com.au) offer course in 3D.

All the best in your hunt for the 3d answer. : )

Best regards,

Michael

Michael Abulencia

Education Program Assistant
lab.3000 - leading by design
email: michael.abulencia at rmit.edu.au
phone: + 61 3 9654 6970
mobile: + 61 422 624 760

>>> keithcr at fastmail.fm 10/11/2005 7:16 pm >>>
1/ Are there any recommended 3D software training courses (for teachers)
in Melbourne that people have experienced and can recommend?
2/ I am seriously looking at Maya5 as it is available in a "Personal
Learning Edition".
3/ I was able to get a free copy of Bryce4 as a cover copy with
Renderosity magazine, but unfortunately have mislaid it so cannot
re-install it onto new computers we have bought. Did anyone else get
this copy? My kids have enjoyed it - quite a good introduction to the 3D
creation world.
Keith.

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:16:38 +1100, "Glen Drew" <drewgle at westnet.com.au>
said:
> Chris, as Greg Neil said, most (all?) 3D software have some difficulty in
> terms of use. Getting students used to the concept of working in 3D on a
> flat screen is a problem in itself. I teach a Yr 10 Multimedia subject
> that
> has a 3D component, we are fortunate to have 3D max, and I think it goes
> across quite well. Some love it, and have used it in other design
> subjects -
> Wood Tech, Vis Comm - in yrs 11 and 12.
>
> Scholastic had a deal of 10 user site license plus one teacher for
> approx.
> $1300.00. This was in a recent Technology magazine - I can dig up a copy
> if
> you like.
>
> The more popular packages (3D Max, Maya, Lightwave, Cinema 3D etc.)are
> well
> supported - internet tutorials, magazine articles, books and video files
> on
> DVD. This makes learning them easier.
>
> There is one - Hash Animator:Master - which is quite cheap (2-$300 US I
> think), I haven't used but have some reviews on. Look for an animation
> Killer Bean 2 by Jeff Lew, it was done in this program.
>
> Glenn Drew

> Authority and
> Teachers Association Inc
Keith Richardson