[vet-mm] Re: [Yr7-10it] Re: [Year 12 IPM] ICT in the Essential Learning Standards

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 25 19:21:54 EST 2005

Thank you Tony - your thoughts here have started me thinking along a
different track. I decided to try to tease out what the VELS was
actually saying in relation to the four interdisciplinary strands, to
see how we might be able to make ICT effectively serve all of the other
learning strands. My desire would be to make it indespensible. What I
found excites me - I saw that ICT is 'really' the central lynch-pin that
will enable each of the other three IDS's to serve the curriculum needs
of the whole school. Sounds presumptuous? Maybe a little, but we will
have to think BIG and value ourselves (meaning ICT of course) if we
want others to value us and not dispense with us.
I think that what we have to do, in concrete terms, is establish
precisely WHAT we have to offer that the other disciplines NEED - we
want to be correctly recognized as indispensible, and our skills
appreciated and not undervalued or de-skilled (no longer needed by
education).
By recognizing that ICT is central to the four interdisciplinary strands
it can be sold as providing accesss to these for all other learning
strands.
Wow!
Other thoughts?
Attached please find my interrelationship diagram and summary of the
interdisciplinary strands.
Keith Richardson.