[vet-mm] Re: [Technical] Off Topic - Windows XP and Serv Pack 2 Incompatibility

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed Jun 15 10:41:15 EST 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:35:21AM +1000, Keith Richardson wrote:
> Hi all.
> The following has been reported to me - I am wondering if anyone has
> experienced this?
> We were contemplating purchasing a lab full of new computers running XP
> Service Pack 2.
> We want to be able to continue using Office2000 plus many more pieces of
> software, common throughout the school. Other computers are running
> either Win 2000 or 98SE.

Keith,

it is my understanding that standard XP ships with a 'comaptibility
testing' utility. Perhaps SP2 has an updated version of this?

Alternatively, perhaps trial your apps on SP2 on a single test machine
prior to commitment on the remaining lab.

I'd also be curious to know what a lab full of XP machines costs, if it's
not a problem to reveal such numbers.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris, Convenor
Open Source Victoria