[vet-mm] 3D imaging software

Glen Drew drewgle at westnet.com.au
Thu Jun 9 10:51:12 EST 2005

Hi Kathryn, there are 'cheap' even free 3D software - Truespace 3.0 is free, but not the easiest interface to use, Realsoft and Blender were other giveaways. Pose 3 was also a give away some time ago but this is a character modelling tool. Maya PLE is free, but I believe there is a watermark left on the render, some of the other high-end 3d packages also have introductory - entry level versions. GMax is Discreets 3d Maxs' version for creating game levels. These are all product promotions but I am sure a room-full for learning purposes would not upset the publishers - free advertising I would imagine.
We teach 3D MAx at year 10 which "awesome", "cool" etc. etc. and some the kids have asked the same question as yours. I have given them copies of some of these free applications. I can send you a CD if you like.

BTW hope 3D is in the next revised VET MM course - it was popular in the competency based course, shame it was dropped in the Training Package.

Glenn Drew