[vet-mm] Re: [Year 12 IPM] VELS and ICT – An Attempt to Model an Ideal Working Relationship

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 11:29:06 EST 2005

hi keith,

it looks good on paper and thanks for your lateral thinking

I think it would fall down in practice. The expectation is that all ICT
teachers are or become super teachers:-
1. they keep up with new developments in ICT, a curriculum area developing
faster than any other due to Moores law
2. they be expert in cross curricular methodologies, the c-word
(constructivism)
3. they work harder - as well as preparing and teaching their own lessons
they also teach the teachers how to use ICT and integrate it

Reality check: When I walk down the corridor past a computer room I
sometimes see a teacher sitting at the desk out the front. That teacher is
never an ICT teacher. In those classes there is more damage to computers
(mouse balls stolen, key boards rearranged, I can even report a case where
all the RAM was stolen) than in classes where there is an ICT teacher in
charge.

"I'm from the government I'm here to help you".

Now tell me about the government that is going to inservice all the ICT
teachers in the skills listed above, to give them all a teaching line off
for the extra work they are doing, to setup a certified career pathway with
extra pay (something like the Advanced Skill Teacher pathway in SA which
several years after introduction has still not got past AST1). And then you
will have my complete attention.
--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr.blogspot.com/