[vet-mm] RE: New vet Course

Rachelle McLean rachelle.mclean at rmit.edu.au
Mon Aug 8 10:01:11 EST 2005

Hi Andrew,

Have you already got VET programs running at your school?  If you have then it would make your task easier to see how they went about it and all the paperwork required.

I think VET Multimedia is worth setting up as it is an engaging subject, moreso than IP&m OR IS (no offence to the IP&M and IS supporters out there).

Some things to consider when setting up your course...

1.  Money - you need fast machines with large storage space and you need decent software with the ability to update regularly.

2.  RTO vrs Auspicing - Your school can either be it's own RTO (Registered Training Organisation) http://www.training.com.au/ or you can be  or Aus[piced which means paying $40 per student per year ??? to another RTO.  There are plenty of people out there, including us, who could auspice you.  My last school was it's RTO which meant (according to the school) that we didn't qualify for the $400 per student, government funding that is available to schools running VET programs.  Worth looking in to.

3.  Qualifications - The teacher needs a Cert IV in Workplace and Assessment Training that is available through most TAFEs.  The good thing about being a teacher already is that you can RPL (recognition of prior learning) most of the course.

4.  Paperwork - A VET teacher has at least twice the amount of paperwork to do that a VCE teacher has to do.  We have to mark work for VET as Competent or Not Yet Competent, and for Cert III students give them a scored assessment for VCE.

There's a few things to get you thinking.  Feel free to post as many questions on here as you want.  We've all been through it before.

Cheers,