[vet-it] proxy servers

rb rbouman at myrealbox.com
Fri Aug 24 10:57:23 EST 2007

James GIBNEY wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> sorry for the cross posts.
> Firstly, thanks to all the people who replied to my query last week about Value Adding through VB programming, it was most helpful.
> I have another problem and would appreciate any advice. lately, we have had a spate of students using proxy servers to bypass the school's internet restrictions. Word is spreading that this can be done amongst the students and it has proved impossible to block all sites that provide proxy access.
>
> At the moment we cancel internet access to those students we catch but we only catch them by fluke and we don't want to end up banning large number of students from the internet but if we let the students know these sites exist it will advertise the fact and more will use them.
>
> Has your school had these problems and does anyone have some advice on what to do?
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> James Gibney
> ICT Coordinator
> St Helena Secondary College
> Wallowa Rd
> Eltham Nth 3095
> Ph 03 94388500
> Fax 03 94388555
> email: jgy at sthelena.vic.edu.au
> P Please consider the environment before printing this email
>

> --- AV & Spam Filtering by M+Guardian - Risk Free Email (TM) ---

does your school have an approved DET isp provider? if so, lean on them
heavily to get their act together and keep their filter lists up 2 date.
If your school provides its own internet services [and manages its own
proxy server] then you'll need to get a hold of a long list of proxy
bypass servers and update them frequently on a blocked basis whether in
ISA or SQUID or whatever solution you use.

Here's a link to techie's file in a govt. sec. school list of known
proxy bypass servers;
http://www.rsc.vic.edu.au/LJO/proxyblacklist.txt

send the tech. bods at that school a thankyou...