[Visual Basic] Re: Joining Forms

a.hopkins at bcc.vic.edu.au a.hopkins at bcc.vic.edu.au
Fri Feb 17 12:26:24 EST 2006

Attached should be a zip file with two projects that show the creation of
multiple forms and passing data between them.

One project creates the forms in code, without using the Windows Form designer;
this is the method I prefer as it gives greater control over what we're doing.

The other 'translates' the code solution into a project using forms designed
with the windows form designer.

Data is passed between the two forms in three ways:

1) Using a variable (in this case a string) declared as Friend in a module.  The
Friend keyword means that the scope of an object extends project-wide. (Public
allows access even from outside the assembly.)

2) Using a class as a container for a 'message'

3) Declaring a control on a form as Friend, so that it can be accessed outside
the class that creates that form.

I've written some internal documentation for the code solution to expand on this
a little.

Alex Hopkins
Bayside Christian College