[Technical] Request re DVD storage on school network

Greg Neil (Mr) greg at stmargarets.vic.edu.au
Wed Oct 21 18:41:34 EST 2009

6 channels, pretty much around the clock (or for a set time window). Unfortunately you can't program in specific shows or have it change channels, so as the number of channels grow, the more you miss out on (or perhaps not, if most of it is going to be repeats).

It is also more work that just cut and paste to get programs into the library, as everything has to be re-encoded, meta-data entered etc. Not saying it isn't a good product, but do not under-estimate the work that it will create for whoever manages your digital video library. Budget in several hours a week (4 - 6 would not be unreasonable if you keep a lot or programming), and also budget for several terrabytes of storage for the videos.

The biggest issue we have found is the that staff will say that they want every episode of a program on spec, then afterwards not watch it, or decide it isn't what they thought it would be. We now have a preview area. The show goes there, then gets shifted to the main library after it has been checked by the requesting staff member. This has cut down the amount of crap substantially.

The one truly great thing about it is that it holds up to two weeks worth of recordings. This is really great because probably 30% of requests or more seem to be made after the fact - "I saw this really great show last night, can I have a copy of it".

However these devices aren't cheap, in either the purchase, or the on-going management of the library, so you have to be sure you will get the use out of it.

The licensing for the standard clickview service with just the clickview licensed product and anything you want to encode and transfer manually is far more reasonably priced.