[Technical] Document management in schools....

Wayne Hewett staffwhe at rsc.vic.edu.au
Mon May 18 22:44:09 EST 2009

Greetings all

With a huge flurry, I don't where it originated or when it began, but the IT department's long insistence of using the teachers' share drive on our network has suddenly exploded into megabytes of documents, presentations, photos and folders.
Needless to say what was a little gem of a resource to those in the know has become a common warehouse to everything that is really useful to junk.
Riot acts have been read at Curriculum meetings and KLAs have got the message. Stuff is being cleaned up and permissions have been tightened.
We are progressing to a new virtual server environment, and now is probably the time to look at document management alternatives.

The obvious one is Sharepoint....... or is it?

What do you reckon?

Wayne Hewett
IT chappy at:
Rosebud Secondary College