[Technical] Instant Messaging

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Wed Aug 13 16:53:39 EST 2008

Might also be worth looking at laconi.ca
This is the code that runs identi.ca which is similar to Twitter - but
can be run on an internal network server...
http://identi.ca/

Although - This is microblogging rather IM.

Might be worth considering the grand daddy of IM...
and set up a school IRC server...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

Has the added advantage of fostering group discussion - could have a
different channel for each class - or subject.

Happy to consult pro-bono if you want
to explore these open source options.

- Donna

--