[Technical] Offsite Data Replication

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Tue May 23 10:29:02 EST 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 09:35:50AM +1000, Grant Frazer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking at investigating the possibility of offsite data
> replication for our Exchange, MSSQL, and mission critical documents.
> Have any of you done/ looked at it and can provide any suggestions/
> comments on the viability of this.

I don't normally tout my firm's wares in this forum, but this will do the
job:

 http://www.cybersource.com.au/product/replicator/

It will replicate your Windows server to a remote site. That price
includes the hardware and installation.

There are hassles with live replication of MS SQL and Exchange data files
however, as you probanly know. You have to pay through the nose to get
system software which 'pauses' these apps so that you can back them up,
due to Windows' inability to allow file reads while databases are locked.

That's one more thing for schools who make the mistake of buying Exchange
and MS SQL make don't factor - the cost of backup software for these types
of apps runs at $5k per server. By contrast, open server platforms and
apps require no special backup solution or extra expense.

It's a shame that you're not using Linux platforms. If you were, our
Replicator will not only replicate your data set, but also allow for the
creation of a complete server clone. If there are problems with your
primary server, this secondary server can be switched into production in
under 2 minutes. There's nothing like this which exists for Windows or
Novell servers, AFAIK.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)