[Technical] Linux at a Sydney school

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Mar 27 16:14:08 EST 2006

Tuttle is a town about the same size as Cobram.

So, you're not making fun of an IT Department at all, Con, but this
bloke, Jerry Taylor, who is the town council manager:
http://tinyurl.com/feewp

>From the exchange of emails, he doesn't seem to be able to get in touch
with any employee who knows anything about computers - and in fact, he
might not have one in a council for a town of 5000. His whole
organization has only four computers for him, the Mayor, the councillors
and employees.

So actually, his only mistake might have been getting some bloke down
from Oklahoma City who hosted or put in a Linux webserver for customers
who clearly couldn't cope with it, then ran.

I cannot imagine Jerry even knowing how to ask "I want Centos, the
binary equivalent of Red Hat Enterprise Server, without the licensing
fees, please!"

Cheers,
Clarky

PS  For less laughs, but a bigger town council with a bigger budget that
should have known better, check out:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5850633.html

Important -