[Technical] Announcement software

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sat Jan 28 09:30:37 EST 2006

Hi Lorraine,

As Damien Perrone has said on the Department technical forum:

--------------------

There are a heap of apps out there, have a look at
http://www.tucows.com/downloads/Windows/Internet/Chat/LANMessengers/

Also found these http://www.lantalk.net/

Unfortunately, most leverage the messenger service and you may need to
pay for them.

I am sure someone could script something like following ...[with a] a
combo of psexec and a small vbscript...

    for /f %f in (machinelist.txt) do copy message.vbs
%f\c$\windows\system32 && psexec %f wscript //i message.vbs && del
%f\c$\windows\system32\message.vbs

    message.vbs would be something like

    msgbox "This is my message!", vbokonly + vbcritical, "My Title!"

---------------------

Some explanations:

Enabling the messenger service (which many other programs 'leverage') is
fine for a business, but maybe inappropriate in a school.

PSExec is a free utility available from
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsExec.html

Machinelist.txt would be a text file with each line containing a
computer name.

Cheers,
Clarky

Important -