[Technical] Notebooks for New Staff - DET needs to help

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri Feb 24 18:16:50 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 06:05:09PM +1100, Clark, Ian C wrote:

> [...]

But what, dear Ian, exists nowdays beyond Unix-like platforms and Windows,
which as I said, also had it's pedigree in Multics' prefecessor?

> > And IPX/SPX is now essentially dead.
>
> You can't have it both ways, Con. Multics is dead too! They work so well

But Multics' _influence_ Ian, it's _influence_ is alive and well. ;-)

> > But TCP/IP, which came from the same groups which hubbed
> > around the creation of Multics and DARPA and Unix, reigns
> > supreme. Which had more influence?
>
> TCP/IP was never developed on Multics. It was first developed on VAX

I never said it was.

If you read what I said, TCP/IP was created by the same groups who hubbed
around the Multics/DARPA/Unix development teams, namely from 1968 through
to 1981.